Sunday, June 26, 2011

Part 2 My first doctor visit for undiagnosed hashimotos disease

Hashimotos thyroiditis, hashitoxosis.
There is a "care now" doc in the box place by my house that i drive by all the time.  I have never been in there.  That particular weeked we were going to take the kids swimming and I wanted to feel good.  I told my wife i was going to head up to the "care now" and see if i could get something for my "baldder infection".  I also had an interview on Monday and wanted to feel better for my interview.   I recently started a new job as a general manager of a very well known retailer.   I headed up to the care now and had a urine test.   My back hurt so bad, i kept telling the doctor I have never been in that much pain before and didnt know what was going on.  The urine test came back and everything was clear!    How could this be??  I was drinking and peeing at an alarming rate.  I had 3 of those medium size gatorades in one sitting and was still thirsty. He gave me a Z pack, told me to take it easy over the weekend.  I felt like shit.

On Monday I made an appointment to see my family Doctor.  He was a new doctor, young guy, inherited his clients from a previous doctor who had the practice for many years.   He wanted to do a thorough exam and send me for a kidney sonogram.  He thought maybe that my urination and back pain was being caused by possible kidney stones.  Afterall, I ate a ton of protein, protein bars, eggwhites, peanut butter, chicken breasts.  I was in the MRI and asked the technician if everything was ok.  She told me that she couldnt tell me anything but she said "I wouldnt let this ruin your week".   My sonogram was clear.    On Tuesday I called my manager of my new job and told him that something was going on.  I told him I didn't know what, but I just didnt feel right.  I told him that I was really sorry, that I know i was only with the company for about a month and I was calling in sick to go see the doctor.   What was weird, that I didnt know at the time, is that I felt good in the morning, but for some reason had waves of shit around 3 pm every day.  It seemed to happen right after lunchtime.   Every time I went for lunch, I would come back with the thirst, back pain, shakyness, dizzyness, knee pain, and horrible anxiety.   What the hell was wrong with me?   I called my brother to ask him his opinion.  He seemed to be a outside opinion and wanted to know if he ever had this happen to him and what did he think was going on?  "I dont know whats happening, my body starts going into this weird mode, I get really thirsty, my back hurts so bad I can barely stand up, my ears seem full, my mouth is dry, im sweating my ass off.  Im dizzy, I feel like I just got out of a car while reading. and the worst part about it is that no one knows what in the hell is wrong with me".

My young doctor threw his hands up in the air and told me that he was going to send me to see a very well known gastronologist.  Dr. Adnan Badr was in Plano, Texas.  The wait time to get in to see Dr. Badr  was an entire month!!   What the hell?   I never see Doctors.  Is this really the norm?  My family is very concerned for me.  I need to do my job.  My wife just had another baby and I dont feel well enough to participate.  Im so tired all the time, i can hardly think.   And of course, every single day my episodes begin right after lunch.  Same time, same bat channel.   I would make it 1/2 way through the day and have to leave.  Every day I was going home after lunch.  The anxiety was getting really bad.   So i decided to do something drastic.   I drove over to Dr. Badr's office and walked in.  "please see me, please see me now, something is very wrong.  My stomache hurts really bad and my gallbladder is screaming for help.  My back hurts, my ribs hurt and im very scared''.  Dr. Badr happened to be there that day and they actually allowed me to visit with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment